The Rural Development Trust is a South Lanarkshire based company limited by guarantee with charitable status that aims to support the sustainable development of rural communities in South Lanarkshire. The Trust has developed and delivered a number of projects that address rural issues in South Lanarkshire. The Trust is a social enterprise that reinvests operating surpluses into new initiatives, including their community transport services which are based in Douglas Water. The Trust currently has 12 vehicles in their community transport fleet and is the only community transport provider in the West of Scotland with a maintenance depot.
The Rural Development Trust (RDT) exists to develop and deliver projects that address rural issues in a strategic and effective manner. RDT’s core charitable aims are:
- To provide relief to people who are in need because of age, mental or physical disability or illness to provide and assist in the provision of community transport services serving the needs of such people;
- To advance education and promote training, with particular reference to skills which will assist the participants in obtaining paid employment or which will be of direct relevance to the tasks performed by the participants in the course of their employment;
- To relieve unemployment for the public benefit in such ways as may be thought fit, including assistance to find employment;
- To promote, conduct and/or support other charitable projects and initiatives of a charitable nature for the benefit of the community.
It does this by:
- innovation, co-operation and collaboration, integration, sustainability, partnership and bottom-up project development
- having a cost effective and professional solution to work, whilst at the same time representing good value for money
- being prudent with cost base and keeping business overheads at manageable levels
- keeping a rural focus and reinvesting any operating surpluses into new rural initiatives.
RDT’s 7 directors all live in the rural area with a mixture of farming, third sector, mental health, business and community experiences. Membership is renewed annually and open to all who support RDT’s aims.
The Rural Development Trust is registered is Scotland No. SC263798. A recognised Scottish charity SCO35306
Rural Development Trust, 1 Powell St, Douglas Water, Lanark, ML11 9PP